- Discover your passion. Is there something you love to do? Is there something you’ve always wanted to try? Figure out the things that calm you or make you smile. Focus on the times when you were happiest. What were you doing?
- Appreciate the smaller things. Observe small victories and celebrate them. Examine your daily routines and figure out what gives you a boost each day. Sometimes the things that affect you the most get overlooked..
- Get out of your comfort zone. Sometimes you have to shake up what your are doing in order to shake up how you are feeling. Embrace the changes in your life. What worked for you before might not work now.
- Take charge of your life. It is easy to get bogged down in negativity if you are living for someone else. Are you doing things because you genuinely enjoy them or are you maintaining a facade? Once you figure out your desires, you will then be able to start eliminating outside influences.
- Avoid replacing empty feelings with unhealthy habits. It is very easy for drugs, alcohol, and/or poor eating habits to fill any void you have. Deal with your feelings instead of using different tactics to suppress them.
Feeling unfulfilled is a common experience. The steps listed above will help you begin figuring out what motivates you. If you or someone you know cannot shake feeling unfulfilled, the therapists of Philadelphia MFT are here to help. We are also offering the second installment of our Total Wellness Workshop. The four week intensive focuses on change & finding success and balance in all areas of your life. Click here for more information!
This topic of the week was written by Malyka Cardwell, MFT.