1. Walk away and try to find a quiet spot
2. Shut your eyes and take ten deep breaths, in through your nose and out through your mouth
3. Smile (even if you're faking it)- smiling instantly boosts your mood by releasing endorphins into your system
4. Ask yourself if the issue at hand is worth it
5. Walk back into the situation calmer and clearer than you were
These 5 steps can help you keep your anger in check. By removing yourself from the tense situation, you will have time to calm your mind and re-focus on what is important.
This Topic of the Week was written by Danielle Adinolfi, MFT