Getting engaged is a huge step in a relationship and can feel very overwhelming. Here are some things to think about before popping the question to know if you’re ready to say “I do.”
- Do you work well together?
- It may seem obvious, but our partner should bring out the best in us. If you can say that is true in your relationship, than you’re off to a good start.
- Do you have lives outside of one another?
- You should both have a full life and support system separate from one another. When your worlds completely overlap it can be a catalyst for trouble. Work in the same office? Have some friends that are yours alone, and let your partner spend time with their own friends.
- Do you agree about the big issues?
- It’s important to know where your potential spouse stands on big issues such as children, finances, religion and geography. If you don’t want kids and your partner does, that is a problem that won’t resolve itself with an engagement ring. Be sure you talk with one another
- Does my partner get along with my family?
- When someone’s spouse and their family have a tumultuously relationship, those ill feelings bleed over into the relationship. This may not be a deal breaker, but it should be addressed asap before it gets out of control.
- Do you both pick and choose your battles
- This may be the most important relationship advice you will ever here: when one person wins and the other loses, the relationship loses. This point cannot be stressed enough. Know when and how to choose your battles, and respect your partners’ perspective and feelings. If you and your partner have this figured out, than you're ready for the long haul!
This topic of the week was brought to you by Danielle Adinolfi, MFT
Philadelphia MFT is now offering online scheduling. Book an appointment with us here!